I have to say that the hardest part of considering to go low carb and then keto was giving up bread. I was a toast and coffee girl from way back and had a hard time working that one out. I eventually just went cold turkey about a year ago. Breakfast biscuits were a family favorite so I knew I had to work on coming up with some options eventually. These are so delicious, I don’t feel like I am missing out on anything when I make a breakfast bagel out one of these! You can fill them with whatever you like, some our favorites are eggs, bacon, avocado, cheese and tomatoes!
Making breakfast sandwiches out of these bagels beats out any fast food breakfast sandwich HANDS DOWN! Tim Horton’s look out!
2 cups finely ground almond flour
1 TBSP gluten free baking powder, sifted
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
2 large eggs, plus 1 egg yolk
1 large egg white, for egg wash
3 cups mozzarella, shredded
5 TBSP cream cheese, softened
1 TBSP Everything Bagel Seasoning
- Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 425F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat.
- In a large mixing bowl combine almond flour, baking powder and dried spices. Blend thoroughly ensuring there are no lumps and everything is well mixed.
- In a smaller dish separate 1 egg white, while saving the yolk in a medium dish. Gently beat the egg white and set aside – you will use this to brush the top of the bagels so that your Everything Bagel Seasoning will stick.
- Add the two additional eggs to the dish with the yolk and beat until mixed. Set aside.
- In a large microwave-safe dish, place the cream cheese and shredded mozzarella cheese together and microwave for 1 minute and 30 seconds. Remove from the microwave and stir. Microwave an additional 30 seconds or so until the mixture is soft and mixes together easily.
- Add the almond flour mixture to the cheese mixture and add the beaten eggs and yolk. Mix everything together until well blended.
- Wet your hand with cold water and take 1/6th of the dough and shape into a ball and then poke a hole in the middle with your finger to make it into a bagel shape. Place on baking sheet.
- Wet hands again and repeat this process until all the dough is used and you have six bagels on your tray.
- Brush each bagel with beaten egg white and sprinkle with Everything Bagel Seasoning.
- Place cookie sheet in the middle of the rack and bake for approximately 13 – 14 minutes or until golden brown (you may want to turn your tray after 10 minutes of baking depending on how even your oven bakes).
- Cool on the cookie sheet for a minute and then transfer to a cooling rack.
- When completely cool, cut in half and build a breakfast sandwich!
Store in an air tight container for up to 5 days in the fridge.
These will keep for a few days in the refrigerator. I’ve popped them into the toaster just as the eggs finish up so they are nice and warm!
- Category: breakfast
- Method: bake