8 Glasses a day…?
We may or may not need the status quo of “8 glasses per day”. However, we need to get enough to realize the health benefits of drinking water – see #5 below! It’s truly essential to your health. If you’re trying to lose weight, it’s even more important that you’re drinking water. A common error may be that you mistake thirst for hunger and eat when you may really only need to be drinking water.
Your body loses water continuously through sweat, breathing and other bodily functions. Drinking water is a good way to maintain good health and keep your metabolism revved up! If you feel thirsty, chances are you are already lacking hydration, so drink up.
Here are a few reasons why you should make sure you are drinking water:
1. Your body is made up of roughly 60% water. Drinking water helps regulate body temperature and aids in digestion, the creation of saliva and blood. It’s your brain that tells your kidneys when to hold onto water and when to release it. Ever notice on a hot day when you sweat a lot, that you don’t need to go to the bathroom as often?
2. If your muscles don’t have enough fluid in them, you’ll suffer from muscle fatigue. Who wants exercise to be harder than it already is?
3. Water gives your skin a youthful glow. If you’re dehydrated, your skin will look drier and more wrinkled. Try this simple test… Pinch the skin on the back of your hand, if it doesn’t fall back flat when released, chances are you’re lacking hydration!
4. Constipation! Need I say more!
5. Your kidneys need adequate water flow to function at their best. An easy indication of proper hydration is that your urine will have a light color and be nearly odor free. If you’re dehydrated, the color will be darker and the odor will increase. Worst of all, if you are regularly neglect drinking water, your risk of getting kidney stones increases. This is because as your body isn’t flushing them out when they are tiny. Trust me, you don’t want to get kidney stones!
6. If you’re drinking water, you’re probably not drinking juice or soda, both of which likely contain excess sugar.
Do you find drinking water every day challenging?
Getting enough water is easy for some of us, like me because I love a glass of cold water! However, if you struggle to drink more water, try adding a slice of citrus fruit or mint to your glass. Make a point of having water with your meals. Carry a bottle with you and sip occasionally throughout your day!
I would love to hear how you fit more water into your day! Share your ideas you’ve come up with for adding flavorings!